Pages Navigation Bar

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Unfinished Quilt #1

Quilting is one of the things I truly enjoy, but I have a nasty habit of starting a quilt, and not finishing it.  Right now I have at least five quilts in various stages of non-completion.  My favorite part of quilting is planning a quilt, and piecing a quilt. 

I began quilting a few years ago when I bought Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting.  I love this book, and I consider it a must have for any new quilter.  The book walks you through every step of quilting (both hand and machine quilting).  The pages are filled with easy to follow diagrams and colorful pictures.

This is one of the first quilts I started and was supposed to be a present for Adam.  Originally, it was going to be a Christmas present (several years ago).  Then, it was going to be a wedding gift.  Well that date came and went.  I thought maybe I would finish it for our 1 year anniversary.  Oops.  Now I just want to have it completed by next winter.

I have learned some tricks with planning that I wish I had known when I first planned this quilt.  I love the colors, but I now realize it would have been more visually affective if I had made the blue and tan pieces all lighter in color, and the red and green darker, or vice versa.  Oh well.  Adam still loves the colors, so that's what really matters I guess.

Tonight I started playing around with different looks.  Adam's favorite is straight lines making a rectangle.  I kind of like the diagonal, but I don't think the pattern is as easy to see that way, so I guess straight it is.  I do think that I am going to make it just five rows of five squares and add a thick border.

Don't worry, I will post pictures when I am finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.