Pages Navigation Bar

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

'Scrap'tastic Quilt-As-You-Go Table Runner

'Scrap'tastic Table Runner

I have always loved the stark contrast of black and white--when I was in high school, I thought my future home would be all black and white.  Luckily, I grew out of that idea, but my love affair with the combination has continued.  I am drawn to black and white prints every time I go to the fabric store, and find my scrap stash filled with these prints when I go to make projects.  Because I love this fabric so much, I have a difficult time throwing away scraps of fabric, even when they seem too thin/small to really be worth keeping.

My kitchen table has been bare for a while now, so I decided to use those scraps to make this quilt-as-you-go table runner.

I had never made anything using a quilt-as-you-go method, so I found myself just "winging it" as I made this table runner.  The beautiful thing about using this method is that you don't have to take time to piece and then more time to quilt.  It all happens at once.  Also, you don't have to pin, baste, or anything else like that which takes so much time.

This pattern is fantastic because you can use those thin strips of fabric that your husband wants you to throw away.  I was able to use scraps for the top of the table runner, two fat quarters from my stash for the back, and one fat quarter from my stash to make the binding.  I made a straight, double-fold binding for this because it has straight edges (no curves which need bias binding), and used this pop of color to set off the black and white prints I adore.  Start to finish, this table runner took about two hours to make, so bust out your scraps and get quilting!

While you get quilting, I just have to decide how to finish my table...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.